- Borrowing privileges are available to residents of Hunterdon County, except for residents of Lambertville and Milford boroughs. Children under the age of 17
must have their registration cards signed by a parent or guardian.
- Proof of a Hunterdon County address is required at time of registration.
- Library cards must be renewed every five years; proof of address is required for card renewal
- Library materials are due on the date shown on the receipt presented to the patron at check out.
- Library records are confidential; patron must have library card in order to obtain a list of items checked out or on request.
- A book drop is located at the entrance of each library for return of books and audio visual materials. Items may also be returned to any branch library, member library, or bookmobile.
- Borrowing privileges are suspended when books are six weeks overdue or fines of $10.00 or more are owed.
- Patrons may request books and other materials that are not immediately available. Requests may be placed online, over the phone or in person at the library. Requests for items will be filled in order of receipt and borrowers will be notified when reserved materials become available. Requested material will be held for 5 days.
- Patrons may have up to 10 (ten) active requests at any one time
- Patrons must have the library card of the person for whom the item is being held in order to check out item
- Items not owned by HCL will be considered for purchase or Inter Library Loan. Items published or released during the current year may not be immediately available for Inter Library Loan.
Borrowing Periods for Select Items:|
- Compact Discs
- New Adult Books
- Holiday Books (limits may apply)
- Periodicals -10 per card
- Adult Books on CD
- Most Juvenile Books
- Most Adult Books
- Book Cassettes
- Most Large Print Books
- Juvenile Books on CD
- Juvenile CD-ROMS
- The fine for most overdue materials is 10 cents/operating day for each item with the following exceptions:
|20 cents/operating day:
- Adult 14-day books
- Holiday books
- Interlibrary loan items
- Art Prints
- At bookmobile stops, the same overdue charges will apply.
- Patrons who fail to return and/or pay for overdue materials will be subject to legal proceedings for theft.
- In the event of lost or damaged materials, charges include all of the following:
- The cost of the item.
- $3.00 processing fee.
- Overdue charges as follows:
Maximum fines of $5.00:
- All other library materials
Maximum fines of $10.00:
- 14 Day Books
- Multi-Media Kits
- Videos / DVDs
- The first overdue notification is two weeks after materials become overdue.
- A $10.00 service fee is applied to delinquent accounts referred to the library's collection agency.